1. Math Enrichment: If you are struggling with math and need extra support, this may be a class for you. Students who received a C- or below in math last semester may be automatically placed in this major.
2. Language Arts Enrichment: If you are struggling with any aspect of Language Arts, this class may be helpful. Students who received a C- or below in Language Arts last semester may be automatically placed in this major.
3. Screenwriting: If you are interested in learning how to write a script, this may be a great class for you!
4. Roots and Shoots: If you are interested in helping the environment, join the fun in this environmental class.
5. Business Planning: Become an entrepreneur by learning how to create and market your own business.
6. Cryptography: Learn about codes, ciphers, and encryption. Work with mechanical locks. Figure out how to crack codes.
7. DeeJaying: Learn the skills of becoming a deejay from a professional and have fun in the process. (Yearlong course)
8. Theater Arts: If you would like to be in the school theater production, you MUST take this major.
9. Drumming: Experience the joy of African drumming by participating in this great class.
10. Dance Team: If you want to learn some great dance moves and may be interested in forming a City School Dance Team, you may want to take this fun major.
11. Creative Writing: If you love to write your own stories, poetry, narratives, etc. this definitely may be a class for you!
12. Sign Language: Learn how to communicate using your fingers and hands only in this fun class.
13. Journalism/Newspaper: Are you interested in learning about journalism and writing different types of stories? Would you like to work on a City School Newspaper? If so, this may be the class for you. (By application only) This is a yearlong course.
14. Mock Trial: Interested in law? Join The City School Mock Trial team and compete against other schools in a real trial experience in court.
15. Film Critiquing: Are you interested in watching films and engaging in thoughtful discussions about various aspects of these films? Explore new insights on films through this class. (7th and 8th grade only)
16. Art Club: Can’t get enough art? Explore your creativity by experiencing art at a deeper level. (8th grade students will get first priority to this because they will not have other art options this year.)
17. Truth in Advertising: Do you believe everything you see in the media? Are ads always true? Explore advertising strategies in this thought-provoking course.
18. Quizbowl: If you enjoy academics, this may be a great choice. Quizbowl is a competitive academic competition that includes answering questions from all subject areas.
19: Who Wants to Be A Millionaire: This is a class for students who want to learn about investing and the stock market. It is a lot of work and a lot of fun. If you enjoy MATH and want to learn how to invest money, this may be the class for you.
1. Running: Get your heart rate pumping! Have fun running and preparing for a 5K run!
2. Capoeira: Have fun while learning this martial arts form that combines dance, rhythm, fight, and movement.
3. Young Women’s Empowerment: For Girls Only - Empower yourself and others in this reflective class. (7th and 8th graders only)
4. Art Club: Can’t get enough art? Explore your creativity by experiencing art at a deeper level. (8th grade students will get first priority to this because they will not have other art options this year)
5. Zentangles: In this creative class you will create beautiful images by drawing structured, repetitive patterns.
6. Photography: Learn the art of taking pictures in this beginning photography class.
7. Chess Club: Learn chess strategies, improve your skills, and play with others who love chess.
8. Rock Band: For students who ALREADY play an instrument - join the band and play with others. (Yearlong course)
9. 8th Grade Assistants: For 8th Graders Only (must have a 3.0 GPA or higher). You will assist the teachers and office staff in completing various office tasks and other duties. (By application only- See Ms. McCray)
10. Book Club: Love to read? Come meet others who love it, too. Read, discuss, evaluate and explore the world of books.
11. Cheer: If you’ve got the spirit, join the cheer team and learn some cheers to perform at City School after-school team games.
12. Student Council: Plan events for City School students while also learning leadership skills.
13. Singing: Have fun singing a variety of songs while improving and strengthening your voice.
14. Yearbook: Work on creating The City School Yearbook. Take photos, design pages, write text, etc.
15. Science Fiction Fantasy Club: If you are into sci-fiction, this may be the elective for you.
16. Sports/Fitness: Get in good shape while having fun playing sports and games.
17. Creative Crafts: Have fun making a variety of creative and innovative crafts.
18. Acting Skills: Ham it up and learn how to build your skills and abilities to perform!